fbctatumstuff

Monday, February 19, 2007

Tomorrow will be a painful day for me. In fact, I can feel it beginning to set in already. Do not feel too sorry for me though, I do it to myself. To make matters worse, I do it several times a week if at all possible. Tonight I went to the high school weight room to abuse my body. There was stretching, jogging, rope jumping, weight lifting all to stay healthy. Sure seems ironic that to be healthy one has to abuse himself. The other irony is in how much I enjoy doing that. This is not something I do once in awhile but I try to go at least four times a week.

In my way of thinking, it is better to suffer a little along the way than to deal with some catastrophic health issue later. My family history is decent, but there is no doubt I carry the genes from heredity. My potential problems will be with the heart and blood pressure. I already deal with some of the latter on a regular basis. This is why I attack the gym as often as I can. My son also is encouragement to workout regularly. I want to be able to handle him should his autism raise its ugly head. So at 45, I still try to watch what I eat along with the rest of the regimen. God still has the final say in life but at least I will take care of what He gives me until that time comes.

I can be honest enough to say that I wish my spiritual disciplines kept me stretched out. Too often there are the same daily interruptions that impede time alone with God. It is only my humble opinion that our contemporary church suffers from believers who are out of shape in a spiritual sense. Not only do I need the regular encounter with the weight room, I need ongoing time with God. The bare minimum for me is time to reflect on scripture, time to pray, and take opportunities to do something for others. When those three things are a constant then my life is much richer in scope. Tomorrow is another day. No matter how much my knees ache I can still carve out the time to be with God. That way my heart can be full as well as healthy.

Bro. Trey