fbctatumstuff

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Where do you go when you go home? For most people that is a relatively simple question. It's just not that easy for me. I know I live in Tatum for now but I am not a native. My birthplace is possibly still submerged in New Orleans. Katrina may have taken out my original birth certificate records. Does this mean that I still exist then? I was reared in Linden, Texas which is about an hour north of where I am now. As recorded in my last blog entry, I left there in 1979 while in college. At homecoming this past October, I discovered how few people I know there any longer. Since leaving there I lived in Louisiana, New Mexico along with more than a few years in Texas. But I still don't know where I consider home. I suppose it is possible that I won't find a home here. Doesn't scripture talk about our heart being set above? I also recall that our Lord mentions doing mansion building for those who belong to Him. We forget that everything in our life is temporary. We save, plan, build all for a roof over our head. There is not a thing wrong with that. But all the fancy ornaments in a house will not make it a home. I once visited a family on several occasions that lived in a house 8000+ square feet. The house was tremendous while the family fell apart. For me, home is just wherever I find those that I know the best. The odds are decent that we will move one or two more times over the next years. All I need to be home is to hear the voices of the two children given to me. I know that cannot last forever. The years go by as they grow to become the people God is making them. But I also know that in forever is a home beyond comprehension. No hurricane can erase the records. No relocation can change the comfort. No value can be placed on not only where I will go but who is waiting to meet us there. So until I go there, I will look to enjoy wherever I find myself calling home.