fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Most people probably remember their first time. Today was my first time to go to an oncology doctor at the cancer center. That memory will stay with me for awhile. All sorts of people were there during my visit. Some were obviously in a life and death struggle with this disease. Some looked as if they are like me just starting the journey. We were all the same no matter what prognosis we have. All of us are sick and fighting to keep our health. It will be interesting to see if or how relationships develop during my visits. My bet is that any relationship made there will be very different in nature.

The doctor has three tests lined up for me over the next two weeks. Two of them should be painless while the last has the promise of being just a bit uncomfortable. When you hear the word bone marrow used in a test the odds are it is not for the squeamish. My view is if John Wayne can whip up on cancer then that is my decision also. I don't know if there is really much room for pity with this illness. Sympathy is always welcome but there are many more people than I who are waging war with their body.

There is a movie that came out at least ten years ago about an arrogant doctor who is diagnosed with cancer. It is his story of the change to his life because of the diagnosis. His treatment affects all of his relationships including those with his family and his patients. He comes out a far more humble person that he was when he began. I am only taking the initial steps but the story resonates already. Life will not be the same.

Understand that my emotions are not quite as strong as usual. I blame the day for this. The good thing about it is the awareness of a growing humility. Some of it comes from the illness. Some of it comes from trying to keep God in proper perspective. It's my hope this is something that grows during this time. I know it is part of my ongoing praying.

Bro. Trey