fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tonight was a very difficult conversation with my son. Chances are that it was the most difficult talk together since his birth. His being autistic makes most of our discussions hard. The problem with tonight is in what I needed to say. He doesn't really know why Dad goes to the doctor so often. That information is probably beyond his capacity to grasp. I don't mind. It lets me just be Dad with him. So what was the topic that made this evening so tough? I had to tell him that my hair is about to evaporate. Well, I told him it was about to go away. He looked at me funny for a minute. Then he said something about getting a haircut. Those words made me laugh out loud. I promised him that if or when we get the haircut that he could help. We will make it a party.

Yes, the hair is about to be gone with the wind. I make light of that a lot in person or here on the blog. For years I would say that my hair is so thick that even chemo probably wouldn't hurt it. Now I know different. I noticed this morning while brushing my hair that it was snowing more hair than was being brushed. This afternoon I got to exercise so there was a need for another shower before church. You should see the glob of hair collected on the drain! It did get picked up so the water would run out. Brushing my hair makes me feel like there is one huge shedding cat sitting on my face. One good thing is all the money being saved not getting haircuts.

Do not cry for me over this. Losing hair is just part of the journey of treatment. Remember that I would rather be bald and healthy. I even worked on a song for this occasion. The words will be put to the tune, New York by Frank Sinatra. "Start spreading the news, my hair is falling away. I will make a brand new start of it. When I get new hair!" There is more including a big ending but that is enough for now. If you know the tune then you get the picture. My biggest concern is that my head may be two toned since it is summer. Maybe there is a tanning bed somewhere just for the head?

Change is coming for me. Just do not think that scares me. Change happens as a constant no matter how much we fear it. Even using the phrase "spiritual growth" means we are always becoming new. People who do not embrace change become those left in the stale sameness of the status quo. We are not saved to God so we can get stuck somewhere in the journey. We all get older but not all of us grow into maturity. I read somewhere that the only person who really likes change is a baby with a wet diaper. That was not always true with my two children! If we are ever going to be all God intends then we have to face the reality of change. We may not lose our hair but we will lose habits, ideas or failures along the way. Doing that leaves room for God to make us healthy. Now if you will excuse me, I need to look online for some dreadlocks to rent.

Bro. Trey