fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We are still counting down to blog post 300. You happen to be reading post 299 here. Awards are not given out for reaching a magic number but it still seems significant. Yesterday we wrote about life over the last ten years. Some may think it was a bit of a downer. That really was not my intent in what was said. I do not want you to consider my message as a "woe is me" moment. The truth is there are more than a few difficult moments no one will ever know about from my time here. It is also true that my efforts fell short an equal amount of those periods. My apologies to all who were or are affected by those shortcomings. My heart wishes there were different words to write. My mind is fully aware of my limitations.

Dealing with my disease seems almost a piece of cake compared to the past. What we need to always remember is that the past tends to live unchanged regardless of our desire. I do believe that the past can be the catalyst for better days if processed the right way. The question still remains for me concerning the future. Should my doctor be correct in her optimism then I will return to the daily pattern of ministry. Words are not enough to convey my gratitude to all who are making my journey easier to bear. My church has the opportunity to also learn some lessons during this time. Our future can still be far brighter than any past conundrums.

Part of being a follower of Jesus is discovering gifts, talents and purpose to live out God's will. I know that one of the biggest thrills for me is to see someone discover what is possible when life is open to Him. Too often, we wait on one person or a select few to carry out God's business on planet Earth. Sadly that can often lead to turf wars over who is in charge. Healthy churches are those where the ministry is distributed among the members according to their gifts. These are people who understand that character matters far more than being at the top of an organizational chart. Jesus spent three years daily developing His closest followers for a time they could not imagine. He taught, trained and turned them loose with the fullness of His power. Sure it was a huge risk. In the end this was His choice as to how the work would continue.

I depend on a team of medical people for my recovery. Each plays a different role in this process. Each is greatly valuable to me during this time. I fight cancer with whatever steps under my control. The rest is turned over to them to guide me toward a healthy outcome. One wish for me would be that the church wherever it is located would follow that pattern. We absolutely must develop a character that originates from God alone. Failure still happens even if we are effective yet not eternal. Humility is one of the cornerstones of such a life. When our conduct as believers can match our character then we have real hope. This is my heart's desire over the last ten years. No doubt it will remain so for however long God keeps me here.

Bro. Trey