fbctatumstuff

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Today is the day that I yielded to temptation. Last night my email opened up to an invitation to purchase World Series tickets three days before the public. I don't know how that happened but it did. Now the choice became whether or not to pull the trigger on the offer. The tickets are for the games should the Texas Rangers make it that far. This afternoon I became the proud owner of two tickets to game five of the World Series. Don't think that my bank account is so flush that it was easy. I am not broke but perhaps a tad bent. For some reason doctors keep sending me bills on top of my usual responsibilities. Insurance is helping more than one could ask. But this was too great an offer to let go by. So should the Rangers make it to game five of the series my daughter and I will be there on the second level ready to cheer for them. If they fall short then there is a full refund coming my way. But the tickets are already printed in our possession so we have that keepsake no matter what.

Allow me yet again to weave our love of the game into the blog. We both love everything about the game of baseball. You know this by now. You know that this is one of the many things that bonds us together. We also share our love of going to games with her brother. My autistic son just enjoys himself beyond words when we take him with us. I am far past grateful for this connection. She and I keep up with the sport even during its offseason. Our computers are regular visitor to baseball websites. Our television stays on the baseball channel quite a bit even during winter. Maybe we are a bit fanatical but we don't mind. We are just devoted fans.

We still have to wait a few weeks to see if this all happens. It kinda reminds me of how we approach the second coming. Believers talk about some day in the future when all will be put right by God's action. Our "tickets" are already given through our faith in Jesus. But unlike the World Series we do not know the exact date of His arrival. You will never hear me speculate much if any on the timing of the second coming. My heart is very content to let God do it however He chooses. For too often prophetic preaching is based more on the news than the biblical material. This is why the people who do it that way always have to revise their theories every few years. People tend to love speculation about His return more than they take serious the biblical teaching to be ready. This is one of my pet peeves in church life.

Imagine if the day for game five arrives and we just sit at home rather than make the drive. It seems to be a little strange to behave that way. Wouldn't it make more sense to gather what we need then actually enjoy the ballgame? We are told repeatedly that no one on planet earth know or will ever know the time of the second coming. Yet we just keep getting wound up when a prophetic teacher claims to have new insight into the divine calendar. Ever wonder if some of these new teaching are related to selling more books than being inspiring? I know that sounds caustic but it is a part of how I see this.

The return of our Lord is to be a reason for anticipation with joy in Him. Jesus tells us to be ready by fulfilling our purpose here on earth. You don't need dates in order to do that. You do need to share a bond with Him. Maybe this is what is missing in our life. We would rather get the date right than actually join God in our journey here. I want to go to that game with my daughter and not a stranger. Don't let the One who is coming be a stranger when He arrives.

Bro. Trey