fbctatumstuff

Sunday, January 16, 2011

It seemed like a good idea to let a few days pass before writing on the blog again. Ideas can be difficult to come by for me. One temptation is to simply choose a news item as a source for material. A drawback to that approach is how many other people write much better than I on said topics. My two cents worth can pale in comparison. Another idea would be to deal with current events in the religious world. The trouble with that is in trying to explain all of the odd ways we Baptists tend to behave. Sometimes the problem would be in explaining how we do not behave. Your reason for landing on this blog may be different than others who come here. Let me just say again that my goal is to just write on stuff that interests me. There are times when the thrust of the writing requires a few days to complete. It is also true that a simple paragraph would suffice on occasion.

Writers tend to deal with whatever interests them. Stephen King is a master at the scary story. He said that what intrigues his thought process is how ordinary things in life can be turned upside down in ways that frighten us. Mystery authors often come from a background that adds depth to their work. Michael Connolly worked in journalism before he began writing terrific mystery books. Historians obviously write about history. H.W. Brands is both a history professor as well as an acclaimed biographer. Sportswriters also will pen novels or other books related to their field of interest. You are probably getting the idea by now. Motivation in writing springs from an individual personal interest.

One of my favorite people wrote me following my Thursday posting. This is the one where I mention that talking about my children may become redundant. My thought was that it may be time to curtail my writing about them. The note spurred my thinking about topics and such. God knows the reason you read so much of them here is because much of my life is wrapped up in them. My job as a dad comes before whatever job pays the bills. I do thank God that my work allows me more time to be a father. This is especially true when one has a special needs child. We can do many things together even when doing work stuff. He knows what it is to go with dad to visit someone in the hospital or other events. Anyway, my original point is that perhaps we need some balance here but not talking about them is impossible.

Struggling to remain fresh here is a constant issue. Avoiding the tendency to fall back on the familiar does matter to me. However, I cannot just avoid talking about things that motivate me on a daily basis. How could this possibly be true to my experience? We can still work on matters of grammar and the like. But you will no doubt find familiar themes repeated on a regular basis. Many thanks to my good friend for reminding me of what matters. God has ways of giving you a kick in the pants when warranted. We are always better for it.

Bro. Trey