fbctatumstuff

Monday, June 06, 2011

May turned out to be a wild month around here.  It began with the death of a school classmate early in the month.  I made several trips to my hometown for visiting friends during that week.  We follow that with end of school activities.  There was a prom for my youngest.  My daughter stayed busy prepping for graduation.  I turned half a hundred late in May.  Last week was a trip to San Antonio with my son's class followed by the actual graduation.  Tomorrow is a trip to Waco for a few days of freshman orientation for my daughter.  I may take a breath now after reading all of that.  This is not complaining but just how it goes.  Today was the rare day that involved no strenuous activity.  It almost seemed foreign to me. 

Let me talk about San Antonio for a bit this evening.  We had a great time seeing all of the sights.  There were about eight special needs kids along for the adventure.  Each one has a different degree of disability.  We were quite the sight as we traveled around.  I loved sharing the time with my son.  He was long past excited to make the trip.  It was all he talked about for months.  How could you not look forward to such an occasion?  You may remember that I drove my car since my services would be needed back at the house before the graduation.  But be sure my presence was on the school bus for the Tuesday itinerary.  We roamed all over the theme park for a few hours.  It turned out very hot after awhile but it was still great.  Smiles were in abundance on the kid's faces as we rode every ride.  This dad could not help but join in the smiling while observing the fun.  We made it downtown later to the Alamo.  Maybe the kids did not understand everything but they do know it is a special place in Texas.  We did some other sight seeing for a time before returning to the room.  My child fell asleep very fast after the busyness of the day.  We drove home on Thursday still tired but still enjoying the memories.  These are the times that I hope always remain locked in my brain. 

People tend to stare when you are wandering around with a group of special needs children.  I am very accustomed to being out and about with mine.  We go to town to just get out regularly.  Some people still notice his odd behavior but not me.  He is just the way he is.  But when you add about seven other kids then it becomes interesting.  They were all the same at the park.  It is designed for people with disabilities.  There it was a place with common qualities for the kids.  We all shared that trait of being different either as a parent or a student.  But you still notice others who take the view that these children are just too different for normal life.  Times like that still irritate me.  One thing I do know is that everyone is weird in some form or fashion.  One out of one human beings is imperfect.  Be sure that this is due to sin either directly or indirectly.  No one can begin to claim perfection no matter how hard you try.  My odd qualities are just as important in my life as the issues these students face physically or mentally.  But it is also true we have the promise of a better day.  My son is among the major blessings in my life just the way he is.  God promises a day when we all will bear His image in ways beyond imagination.  I cannot conceive of how all of that will work.  Just be sure that all of our blemishes will undergo a great transformation.  We need it now.  We can be sure of it then.

Bro. Trey