fbctatumstuff

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Life should return to as normal as it gets around here.  But it is summer so who knows what normal may or may not mean.  One good thing about the hectic schedule is that time does fly when having fun.  Even if my so called vacation this summer revolves around dad stuff it will still be worth it.  Last week was the class trip to San Antonio.  Today was coming home following freshman orientation with my daughter.  We spent two glorious nights in Waco.  Well, we spent two nights in Waco.  But all was a success as she is ready to go when August comes around.  It is a good thing to still be a dad even if my daughter is about to go away to college.  I am grateful for the time together.

Baylor is an old school filled with many traditions.  Its heritage is Baptist though some of that is changing over the last few years.  Anxiety was my prevalent mood as we began the process of learning the ropes.  Some of my contact with Baylor people in the past was not always pleasant.  Let me confess to having a bit of prejudice in the matter.  Some of my contact with individuals from the school left me feeling less than impressed.  One thing I do not want for my daughter is for her to come away with an air of superiority because she earns a degree there.  Let me report that the people I met are members of the human race.  We delighted in meeting new friends during our 48 hours on campus.  Even the college deans, professors and other staff went out of their way to be gracious.  It was only last Friday that my girl was queen of all she could see as Valedictorian.  She went all the way back to being a lowly freshman while we were there.  It was food for me to meet her new friends as she starts another journey. 

Wednesday was one long session after the other.  Yes, we made all that we could that day.  This is the day when one person after the other gives you information into the college experience.  I can say it was much better material than my orientation back in the 20th century.  Today was the official signing up for classes and related matters.  We were still wiped out from the first day but survived to tell about it.  We saw her next residence.  We took care of financial matters.  We even went to lunch with two of her new friends and family.  There is a restaurant in Waco where her great grandparents photo hangs on a wall.  It was fun showing her the photo of years gone by.  Our trip home was long especially being tired.  But it seems like we had a good two days together.

This post could go many different directions now.  Let's just say that change happens for many reasons but be sure that it does take place.  Nobody really likes the process but that dislike will not halt the process.  If change comes from outside forces such as moving to college then the best suggestion seems to be go with God on the trip.  You cannot control everything that occurs but you can keep yourself in a right position with Him.  That isn't a bad thing to do.  You may find the road becomes smoother when you fight less against the new reality and become the person He wants you to be.

Bro. Trey