fbctatumstuff

Thursday, June 02, 2011

Let me sneak in a quick report on the trip to San Antonio.  I drove behind the school bus as we made our way south.  The rest of the group did more stuff today but my son and I came home early.  Tomorrow is graduation so he was ready to get back to see his sister.  I needed to return early to help with preparation.  Maybe it was a better idea to come back later as we stayed busy cleaning.  It was still a great trip even with the time crunch.  A good time seemed to be had by all.  My journey was a blast.

We did stop to see our state capitol on the way down.  The last session just ended so we were able to walk around much more than usual.  We stepped inside both chambers of the legislature which was fun.  Most of the kids were mesmerized by the rotunda with the high ceiling.  Austin is a great city with a better downtown area.  Finding places to park meant seeing much of the surrounding area.  Everyone was very patient and helpful with a class of special needs students.  I actually spoke in the Senate following my junior year of high school.  Several of us went to a large gathering to learn about state politics.  I ran for state senator and won in my group.  Now you know just how long my interest in politics remains to this day.

San Antonio is hot.  We were lucky to arrive just as our first summer heatwave kicked into high gear.  But the theme park is really something to take in for any group.  Every ride is built with wheelchairs and such in mind.  My youngest got a kick out of driving the cars which run on rails.  Train rides were very popular as the heat grew more intense.  I even caught a large fish in the pond.  We will save that story for another day.  Our next stop was the Alamo.  One of my new goals of summer is to find some history books on that event.  My son was somewhat interested in seeing the old building.  He was more intent on finding supper.  A river ride was our last undertaking of yesterday.  He again enjoyed being on the water seeing the sights.  He was one tired but happy kid.

He is autistic.  Others in our group share varied disabilities.  They are different from what we think of as normal.  But just be sure they are God's children.  We will take this topic up more soon.  Just know that even Texas heat did not stop this outing of being a slice of heaven.  This dad is very grateful to be along for the ride. 

Bro. Trey