fbctatumstuff

Monday, August 22, 2011

School started around here today.  Most reports of the day are good so far.  Only 179 more school days left until the next graduation ceremony.  Technically it is still summer but at least we are moving back into the routine.  My son rides the bus to and from school on normal days.  He somehow was overlooked this morning by the bus driver.  His ride came a little late but it was a personal drive in a big SUV.  I don't think he minded one bit getting to school in an official vehicle.  The bus did bring him back home after the end of classes.  His few comments did sound as if he had a good time.  I think he really looked forward to seeing his teacher and his friends. 

My daughter also started her classes down at Baylor today.  Most of last week was more like a college camp in the activities.  Tomorrow is her busy day of school stuff.  She has a very odd schedule in that she has Fridays totally free.  You couldn't do that if you tried.  All of our seniors from last year are now hard at work across campuses.  Christmas break should bring quite a few stories as they return home for the holiday.  My plan is to go see her on Sunday afternoon and Monday here in a few weeks.  I usually feel a bit guilty not being here for all of Labor Day in terms of doing church.  My bet is those feelings are gone in exchange for seeing my daughter.

Everything is changing just as predicted.  Time will tell how my response goes but life is forever different.  One constant will remain.  I am forever a dad.  It is the best job of my life.  I could not remotely begin to thank God enough for this honor.  You know this about me should you read here very often.  It escapes me how some men just totally blow off being a father.  No one can ever measure the damage that occurs when a dad fails to take his role seriously.  Boys and girls suffer equally in this disaster.  I do wonder how much of the crime, abusive relationships and other social ills are a direct result of this problem.  This is doing much more than being around at home.  A man can be at the house while still wrecking havoc upon those around him.  Fatherhood is arguably the single most significant issue for children to become fully functioning adults.  It is true that some children can still fail even with a good father figure.  But it is also true that failure rate drops dramatically.

We could obviously turn to talk about God as our father.  Time does not allow us to do that this evening.  We will leave it with this thought.  How we relate to God will determine every other relationship in our life.  You and I will be as healthy with others as we are with Him.  That is one thing that will never change.

Bro. Trey