fbctatumstuff

Sunday, December 11, 2011

There are long weekends and then there are long weekends.  This is one that is more the second than the first.  I really do not intend to sound like a whiner on Sunday nights.  Long does not mean it was bad if it's any consolation.  My travels once again took me across Texas in two directions or maybe three.  The good part is getting to see my daughter on Friday night.  She returns home from college on Tuesday so it only added to the fun.  Our local team lost but we did have a very good season.  My youngest and I returned home on Saturday.  We really have a good time when traveling.  The drawback on this journey was hearing Justin Bieber sing Christmas for about two hours.  But we arrived home even if some of my sanity was lost along the way.

Work was also on the odd side.  Baptizing people is a great thing but it leaves me running around trying to find my place.  It was one of those sermons that sound more like a chewing out than encouragement.  My preference is to be encouraging but one does not quibble with God's direction.  Maybe there were some practical ideas given since that is my goal.  Our kids sang in the night service which was great.  You know that children are high on my list of favorites.  All of the music made this service even better.  People need boatloads of patience when working with kids.  My hat is off to all of those who spend hours teaching our most valued of possessions.  They really are heroes in any church for their efforts to lead children.

Two weeks remain until the big holiday.  My greatest wish would be for all of us to find that mythical Christmas spirit in its fullness.  I fully realize that being a follower of Jesus opens the way for us to live in the Spirit constantly.  What is usually missing is that realization of God's presence in our life.  Some of the problem is the schedule during the holidays.  Part of the problem are unrealistic expectations during the next few weeks.  You can add the stress of finances to that list.  Our troubles do not go on a vacation simply because it is the holiday season.  How we understand God's great gift will play a huge role in how we respond to all of this.  Never forget that the child born to Mary grew up to become our great Lord.  He knows full well what we go through as human beings.  Now our faith is in that unlimited power of His place in the universe.  He is not a God who is aloof but is always present tense whether we know it or not.  I can only pray we discover this truth lest we allow the holiday to leave us less than celebratory.  Our hope for peace on earth will begin and end with knowing Him.  Isn't that the reason for all we do in these days?

Bro. Trey