fbctatumstuff

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Some things are common among Baptist churches.  We tend to enjoy the occasional preacher who yells at us for whatever reason.  Gospel quartet music still makes us tap our toes since that is all we are allowed to do.  An offering will usually be taken at any service of any type.  But the best thing is the potluck meal served after a church service.  We had one of those today.  This is when you get all of the tables lined up to hold food of all kinds.  You also need a separate table just for the desserts.  Our church went above and beyond the call of duty today.  My plate ended up with lots of vegetables that looked pretty fresh out of some garden.  Eating is sometimes hard for me after a service.  My stomach has not quite calmed down after leading a service.  Today was one of those times when there was no trouble at all with my diet.  I would weigh about 300 pounds if my appetite matched all of the food that looked good.  Some people wonder why my preference is to limit myself.  I just want to enjoy it but still be able to fit into my clothes.


Our attendance was unusually good today.  My guess is a few people came in their last appearance prior to the summer months.  That used to bother me greatly in my younger years but now it is just what it is.  My only irritation is using the summer months as an excuse not to go to church even when you are home.  But my point is that we had many more people than usual remain for the meal.  I am just glad there was food left for me when it was my turn.  You learn how to walk along the line and graze after awhile.  That is one way to be sure you get to taste some of everything.  You also can let people think you didn't overeat along the way.  It was even hard to find a place to sit to enjoy my meal.  One of my favorite people made that easier for me.


There is a little blonde headed girl who gets my attention when she is here.  She may be about four or five years old.  Today she asked if I would sit by her at lunch.  Her dad even had to move out of the way for me to sit there.  We talked about her fishing experiences.  Seems as if she hooked a great big fish with whiskers not too long ago.  I discovered that is called a catfish since it has those whiskers.  Keeping her catch didn't happen as they put it back into the river she said. I told her that was nice as it could go back to family.  This made her happy.  We watched her younger brother both eat and spread his meal all over.  He was silly.  A good time was had by all as she told me her stories with her big blue eyes.  And so it was the young princess made time for the daft old man.  Life doesn't get much better than that.


Bro. Trey