fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Today was fun.  Maybe it won't sound for some but it was for me.  Summer is usually a time for a season long series of studies.  Sometimes that covers a single book in the Bible.  Those can be enjoyable with a set source for study.  We did that a few times during my stay here.  Other times we aim for topics with a common thread.  Those are also a place to stretch your wings during the summer.  Most of my efforts went decent at the least.  There was one summer where it just fell flat for whatever reason.  You can only blame me when that happens.  I probably made it worse by trying to make it work when it just never came together.  My point is today was the day for making plans for summer messages.  It can be daunting but it is also a fascinating process.


You need two things to make this work.  The first item you need is a calendar.  It always helps to count up the number of studies you may need.  This year we begin with the upcoming weekend.  I know it is a holiday but we can hope for the best.  Students begin their activities in early August which can make a difference in attendance and such.  You also have a few other special days that can affect your study.  So you keep your Day Timer handy while thinking through the potential plan.  You also will need a Bible.  I know that is obvious but it does help.  Included in this will be another big book that refers to all of the scripture.  You can find any word to follow it from start to finish.  Such a tool helps when you are thinking of a single topic for the summer studies.  I can have all sorts of fun with those things.


I sat down a few weeks ago to begin the thought process about the summer.  Praying is clearly part of my thinking.  You want to sift through past studies along with current needs to find some direction.  My usual approach is to record somewhere what messages are delivered and when.  That history goes back a few years now.  Some ideas are laid aside for various reasons.  Other thoughts come to mind over time.  Today was spent sifting through all of this information to find a divine direction for the summer.  You really do not want to either have too much or too little to cover over those few weeks.  My hope is to get it just right for whoever may show up on any given Sunday.  Now there is a plan in place to get through these next weeks.  My topic is generic but with many layers to discuss.  I truly do believe that God desires my words to be about faith this summer.  Maybe we can learn both what it is and what it is not.


One of my pet peeves has to do with our usual approach to faith.  We talk about having faith when the moment suits us.  We also are quick to talk about reality or rules when we do not see a way to express our trust in God.  Consistency is one thing we do irregularly.  What is real faith?  Why do we not live in that belief?  How can we be better at trusting God in all situations? Who is really at the heart of our faith?  These and many other questions will be dealt with as the temperatures rise.  We will cover stories or scriptures in both halves of our Bible.  Our initial study will come from one of the oldest events of human history.  Things like this get me a bit enthusiastic.  Just count it as yet another of my odd traits.  Now let's find out where this journey will take us.


Bro. Trey