fbctatumstuff

Monday, October 08, 2012

Thank goodness it still feels like fall around here.  I was beginning to wonder if summer would just hold on for the duration.  Trying to get into the spirit of the season is tough when wearing summer clothes.  I remember that when we moved to this town it was fairly chilly during the drive down.  Our last items got loaded up in New Mexico just ahead of the first cold and snow of the fall.  It was still cold when we arrived in East Texas.  There are many other memories of that move but they will remain private.  I knew we were in trouble while the truck was still being unloaded.  That seems like a lifetime ago.

Twelve years is quite a distance in time.  Now we begin year thirteen.  I tried over the last few weeks to recall some of those early days.  My memory is either not what it once was or much of it is blocked in my mind.  I even looked at some old picture directories to stir my brain cells.  Many of the faces in those pages are gone now.  Some moved away to other churches while others went home to be with the Lord.  My hair was already taking on a lighter shade but most of my gray came since I began here.  I will be brutally honest here to say most of this time was difficult.  Taking my share of the blame is not a problem.  I also know there are many other reasons for this we just cannot spell out in public.  Not many ministers will say such things but age allows me a certain boldness in writing.  In other words, each gray hair was earned the old fashioned way.

Ministry in my tribe is a hazardous affair.  Other denominations offer various safety nets for their pastors to relocate or do other things.  My job is more like a free agent with no real security other than faith.  Ministers are not the only ones who suffer when work goes badly.  Families are involved for better or worse.  One of my lifelong goals is to shield my family from the negative events of church life.  I do not wish for my wife or daughter to be damaged by some uncaring soul.  There were a few times that aim fell short.  All one can do is try to heal any damage before it festers.  My youngest will probably not ever be aware if there is conflict or other problems taking place.  I do admire him for that even if for less than perfect reasons. 

Who knows what year thirteen will bring?  I long since retired from trying to predict what others may or may not do.  My one hope is it can be the best year ever here.  God can do anything out of nothing.  That is His nature.  So let us hope and pray He exceeds our wildest dreams here.  Surely we can all agree on that.

Bro. Trey