fbctatumstuff

Sunday, September 09, 2012

Trying to get the music just right in a Baptist church is normally a set up for failure.  No two people seem to like the same style.  Some will aim for the blended set as it is called only to find there are two groups upset rather than just one.  You can only imagine the obstacles involved seeing as I am also doing music now.  Singing is not high on my list of talents.  My taste in music runs a wide variety but it does not mean I can sing.  But there you will find me on Sunday mornings trying to lead the hymns during our service.  It is fun for me to choose the songs each week regardless of our direction.  I will somewhat miss it when times comes for me to give that up.

My faith journey involves many of the older hymns and songs we consider to be classics.  I still enjoy the tried and true songs of our faith.  But there are also the newer hymns that are on the way to being the new classics.  These songs are not always so easy to sing.  The beat and other assorted issues do not always flow as smoothly as they do in our old standards.  I just keep going over these songs with the congregation to expose them to all types of worship hymns.  Sometimes it goes far better than imagined.  Other times it does fall a tad bit short.

One of the curious points of all of this music are the songs that fit in neither category.  They are too old to be new yet too new to be old.  We pulled out one of those songs today.  It is called "Reach out to Jesus."  This was written in the late 1960's.  I do remember hearing and learning it during my teenage years.  Most official hymnals do not have the song listed.  But it is one of those I remember very clearly.  We tried it out today without inflicting too much damage among the people.  We are going for another one next Sunday that is neither old nor new.  Odds are good most will recognize the tune even if they never thought of it as a congregation song.  It's my job to choose the music so I get to choose the ones that are my favorites!

You can guess part of this conclusion.  Worship is much more than what songs we sing.  You can sing whatever style you prefer without really connecting to God.  There is far more to a church service than whether or not we enjoy the tunes.  Nothing is more wondrous than to take God into our life while singing.  We sadly spend more time dwelling on negative stuff rather than letting Him change our heart.  Eternity is portrayed in scripture as spending much time in worship of God.  My guess is we will not be so wrapped up in the style as much as we will be focusing on Jesus.  If only we could start now doing just that.

Bro. Trey