fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I am coming to the conclusion that I am allergic to church! There is no other explanation for what is happening today. I woke up feeling pretty good for a change. There was no sign of coughing or congestion. I thought to myself that this was as good as I felt in several days. Things changed in a hurry when I arrived at the office. The cough that was absent suddenly reappeared. The congestion that was not an issue raised its ugly head. All the thoughts of feeling better fell by the wayside in a matter of moments. What other conclusion is there but to believe I am allergic to church?

Church is often referred to as a hospital for sinners. We even sing the song of Jesus being "The Great Physician." Ever wonder if we could be in trouble for malpractice? Some people are intent on remaining outside the church for any number of reasons. Over the years my conclusion is that some reasons are valid but some are not. We cannot as the church be to blame for every wrong idea people get about us. However, I have seen some tragic stories of individuals who leave the church more wounded than when they arrived.

We cannot continue to talk of the love of God while choosing our cliques to join. We cannot talk of Jesus forgiving sin while we talk about those sins as proof of someone not being perfect. We cannot pray for others to be healed while we allow our prejudices to flourish in our heart. We cannot pretend at reaching out to people we privately hope don't sit in our pew on Sunday. If the church is a hospital for sinners then it is as much for you and I as it is for them. We need the same things that those "sinners" need to be whole. I need grace as much as they do.

I better run home and take more medicine. I need to be back here in a few hours. A lot of people need to be here too.

Bro. Trey