fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Today is very confusing. Three day holidays tend to throw me off stride and this weekend is no exception. My youngest and I got out yesterday for some shopping and general escaping. Once if not twice my mind told me that Monday was Saturday. We usually get out on the weekend. Yet, when today got started my mind told me that it was Monday and not Tuesday. It's not the whole Star Trek time/space continuum idea but it was disorienting on occasion. Perhaps the best idea is to just go one day at a time until the days rejoin the brain.

Today was my first serious test since my diagnosis. It was my pleasure to spend the afternoon prepping and then undergoing a Pet Scan. What makes this exam even more enjoyable is the fact one has to fast until time to begin. Since my appointment was at 2:30 then it means the whole day was spent prior enjoying nothing but water. The other great thing about this is the preparation which does indeed include drinking some really nasty stuff. No amount of hunger could make that mixture taste anywhere near good. This is all new territory for me. I am sure that my questions seem inane but I'd rather not be lost or late to anything.

Tomorrow is a day off from testing. My next big moment comes Thursday. That is the day of my bone marrow biopsy. I googled the test only to find that somethings are best left unknown. The phrase "big needle" is repeated throughout the description of the procedure. There are two holes already in my body. One is in the left arm from lab work and the other is in the right arm from the injection today. We add one more in two days. They sure better get good information from the test. It seems unlikely that I would volunteer to have another anytime soon.

Perspective seems important in times like this. There are many people in our circle whose difficulties exceed our own. As was said earlier, there seems little room for pity even with this diagnosis. I am not alone in my journey. One of the biggest mistakes people make with their problems is in thinking theirs is the only one in the universe. When you believe that your problem is larger than anyone else then you isolate yourself from both God and others. We have no need to live in denial but we also need to avoid a selfish vision that ignores all else around us. We can be realistic about life while remaining healthy. The aim is to be as realistic about God as we are the situation. What is hard about this is that it calls us to see beyond our moment. It calls for a humility that we may lack. Let's pray for that attitude as we pray for every other action we long to see God do.

Bro. Trey