fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Most of today was spent with my daughter doing car shopping. We are trying to do some upgrades among our automobiles. She has one that she likes so we drove over to Athens for a test drive. This one fits our budget plus it is not nearly as old as her present vehicle. Hopefully she can pick up the new ride this weekend. The two of us tend to do lots of riding when making big purchases. She went with me years ago when house hunting in New Mexico. Realtors stood no chance once she began working her magic. I thought we did pretty good both then and now. College is a good time to drive a reliable car. This one will not be Baylor green but Aggie red. Let's hope all of this works out smoothly.

Report cards also came out today. Our school is now on a semester type system so their appearance is not as often as before. My daughter has a chance to be valedictorian this June. But it was my son's report card that drew my attention. He is right now a straight A student so far this year. His classes are far different from his sister but the grades still count to me. I think we will have to celebrate his achievement soon. He really is making great strides with his schoolwork. Homework is not even a huge conflict any more. Few things are more enjoyable to me than helping him complete his assignments. I am very proud of both children. They give me far more joy than I could ever imagine.

Believers often wrestle with that pride issue. We know that pride is a big no no in our relationship with God. But is there room for a genuine pride that does not cross over into the area of being selfish? I believe we can experience a godly pride that is acceptable in life. My emotion over my kids is marked by a huge sense of gratitude for all God does in and through them. I know full well that God goes beyond my efforts in developing their character. I am overwhelmed at His kindness to all of us. This gives me a reason to be proud yet grateful for His many blessings.

Godly pride recognizes the reality of grace in the accomplishments of our life. Selfish pride lives only for self gratification rather than furthering the divine purpose. Our tendency is to be self serving while seeking recognition or reward. Sinful pride measures self by other people while selectively choosing your ability over another persons shortcoming. This attitude divides people with criticism rather than building up those around you. Pride was the first act of the cosmic downfall of Adam. He gave into pride before he surrendered to his hunger. We do the same thing in our sin or failures. You can certainly feel a divine sense of pride when you recognize God's blessing. Just remember that all you have above nothing comes from Him. You will go much further with that humility than doing it all yourself.

Bro. Trey