fbctatumstuff

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yesterday brought the arrival of my official AARP membership card. Looks as if someone knows my birthday is only a few months away. They are giving me a month or two to respond to the offer. Odds are good that I will take them up on it. Retirement seems like a foreign concept to me but the discounts sound good. Ever notice how many retired people eat breakfast at the IHOP? Saving some money on my trips will be a plus in my book. Maybe there are a few positives about this aging thing.

I seriously doubt that retirement will soon be a part of my vocabulary. Just know that I do envy those fortunate few who can step away from their career at a younger age. Being a minister is not one of those jobs where the finances will allow that to happen very often. It doesn't help that money management is not one of my stronger skills. Social Security is very much in the news lately. Time will tell if the powers that be lets the money run out. I do know that right now the end of life would pay more than the living part. Don't think that finances will play the biggest role in how long ministry continues. There are many more issues involved than money.

Last summer was another wake up call in terms of the brevity of this life. My original plan was to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Six rounds of chemo reminds you that our plans come in second to God's will. Not being a minister is far less important than filling life with divine direction. Some church people may not understand this mindset. There is indeed a divine sense of call in my life. I also experience mid course corrections along the way. My sense of vocation is both one of a call but it is also a choice. God uses all kinds of people in all types of jobs besides this one. We tend to forget that. All of us who belong to God receive some measure of invitation to be an instrument of God in this world. Our usefulness to God is not a matter of if but of where.

Retirement will probably have to wait many more years. Not even the AARP can dictate the terms of stepping away from this career. My hope is for all who belong to God that each discovers the unique role you can have. Nothing is more fulfilling than this.

Bro. Trey