fbctatumstuff

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Forecasts missed on the snow event today. Our two to five inches of winter weather never happened. We did get rain but very little frozen stuff fell from the sky. Most of the schools in our area did go ahead with cancelling school or sending the kids home early. School here made it through the entire day. It did get cold but no problems were reported. People were calling the church all day to ask if services would be called off. My view is that people should use common sense. If you would not get out in the weather at night and go to the store then just stay at home without any guilt. Our students did have almost twenty show up for their gathering. We told them to just check with parents before heading out. No adults arrived but there was a lot of time for me to visit with our kids. Some nights that is accomplishment enough.

My daughter and I watched part of a new documentary on Ronald Reagan this evening. Perhaps you saw people celebrating his centennial birthday this past week. No new ground was broken in the material but it was still interesting. History records how our country did have a few presidents who were not up to the challenge. This is true for every political party since our nation began. We also know our first few presidents were remarkable men even if they did not agree. Reagan is one of the significant leaders of our country in my opinion. I am not saying that I agree with everything he did. My point is he came at just the right time in history. He shares that trait with Lincoln and FDR. Much of leadership is a matter of timing. You can have the right people in place but at the wrong time. You can even have the wrong people in office at the right time. Important leaders who create a legacy are able to blend those two factors together. Amazing things can happen in those moments.

Our building will host a school competition tomorrow. I may even be dragged into it as a judge. It is a debate contest between our school and one nearby. I spent time tonight catching up on the rules and such just in case. Maybe my services will not be needed. But if my service is required then that will just be one more odd thing to add to my resume. Small town ministers can be called on for many different things. I prayed once at the dedication of a historical marker. One time my job was announcing the homecoming court for a local school. There are advantages to being in a small town. Some of these will outweigh the drawbacks of such a setting. I was reared in a small town. Odds are good that my life will end in a small town. It's not where we are but what we do that determines how large our life really is.

Bro. Trey