fbctatumstuff

Monday, May 16, 2011

This graduating thing is a full time job!  God knows how grateful I am for this experience but it does wreck havoc on your schedule.  Most of my time recently is spent looking at my calendar to remember where I was or when.  Not only does one prepare a child for the moment of leaving high school but there is also the physical preparation also.  Invitations must be sent out through the mail.  Yards need mowing for company to enjoy.  A house needs to be cleaned for any friend or relative who may be into inspections.  I cannot tell you whether the graduate or the parent stays busier than the other.  Even proud parents get wrapped up in the last days of the school year.  Even huge moments in the life of a family can be exhausting.

This dad is still enjoying most of the activity.  It was my pleasure to attend a meal this evening with some of our seniors including my daughter.  You should know that many in this class passed my way over the years.  Some were in sports leagues when they were younger.  Some still pass through my abode on a regular basis.  Some are just kids who I recognize.  It is almost a chance for me to relive some of my experience from over thirty years ago.  This time I can just watch this generation move closer to the big day without worrying about my plans.  Next week is the final high school prom for this group.  I may try to sneak my way inside to watch all of the beautiful girls and handsome guys.  Even us old guys enjoy a little sneakiness on occasion.

Let me keep this short for tonight.  Most, if not all of us would agree that we would do things differently back then if we had the knowledge of the present tense.  Part of this grows out of being human.  Know that there are decisions I would change if given the chance.  Just be sure there are other choices that would remain the same.  We make some of our decisions from our sinful nature which leads to unexpected costs.  Our tendency is to talk big about our faith while failing to move past selfish desires.  We may sing about God's blessings while never receiving them into our heart.  Graduates are not the only people who deal with choices about life.  Every day will bring us face to face with how we live out genuine trust in God.  We may not be teenagers but our actions still help create our reality.  Are our choices any deeper with God's help now than then?