fbctatumstuff

Saturday, August 27, 2011

It's that time of the year again here in Texas.  Football season is underway in high schools across the state.  People who are not from here just cannot fathom the depth of devotion given to the local team.  Most of my life revolves around one local school in one small town or the other.  Should there ever be a move in my future you can be sure the one thing missed the most is my decade long affiliation to the school here.  I still try to keep current on the school of my graduation.  I also still follow two other programs where I lived in the past.  Friday nights are meant to be spent in some stadium or the other.  It is just a way of life for me whether that is good or bad.

You may know my role goes beyond being a casual fan.  I am also the designated person who shoots the video for coaches to use through the week.  This task is one to be enjoyed even when it does get tiring.  My travels range from Dalhart to Texarkana.  I shot film in the Panhandle all the way to Waco or other points along the way.  Texas Stadium was my home away from home for about three weeks during the 2005 playoff run.  I've been at games so hot you lost weight even standing still.  A few games were about as cold as one can remember in our state.  Most of the kids who are in my camera range are just good players wanting to do their best for their team.  I have gotten to film some young men who went on to very good college careers.  I also can count two or three NFL players who passed by my lens.  My part of their success is very small but it does feel good to be a minor part of their growth.

This evening began my fifteenth year of filming high school football games.  I stumbled into the job years ago completely by accident.  My attendance at a practice game led to a night of shooting video.  My friend who was head coach then asked me to come back next week.  That was two schools and many miles ago.  Tonight was my 130th win over all.  I was bored one night a few years ago so I counted up my record.  The 20-0 win today brings my record to 130 - 44.  I might be almost famous were that a coaching account and not just filming.  What is my secret to winning?  You just have to be at the right school at the right time.  Those numbers are more about the coaches and players than my ability to shoot video.

There really is no way to make a spiritual spin on all of this.  I would like to think it's something done as an act of service.  Replacing my work would be no big thing for our team.  Sometimes the drives or the weather can be a bit much.  I do try to talk or listen if a coach or player needs advice or anything like that.  We will have to wait to see what this year brings our team.  Odds are good for another playoff appearance.  How long that playoff run lasts is too far away to speculate.  Football is like life in that respect.  You only go a game or a day at a time.

Bro. Trey