fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Today sure turned out to be a busy news day.  Libya once again took center stage during most of the newscasts.  I guess it will always escape me why those in revolutions fire off their guns after overthrowing a ruler.  Looked like one guy nearly got shot in the head just by standing next to one of the rebels.  Remind me to stay inside at any future revolutions.  Then came the news that an earthquake struck on our east coast area.  The good news is our historic monuments and such are not damaged.  Business will be open as usual tomorrow.

One piece of news hit me harder than all of the others.  Pat Summitt is the women's basketball coach at the University of Tennessee.  This will be her 38th year in that position.  She has more wins than any other basketball coach in history.  This record includes even coaches in men's basketball.  Her teams earned eight national titles through the years.  She announced her diagnosis of early stages of dementia.  It is indeed the type that leads to Alzheimer's later in life.  She is only 59 years of age.  Her plans are to continue coaching until it is impossible.  Let me just confess that it really affected me when I read this. 

Being a cancer survivor changes a lot in my outlook.  Disease angers me more than before my journey.  It is woven into humanity but it still just simply makes me mad.  Maybe we do not often see illness as part of the downfall of sin.  We just see it as something that happens in random fashion.  There is a definite reason why our eternal glory is free of sickness.  God will one day wipe our eyes from all tears.  Horrific diseases are a very human reminder of our limitations.  We discover how frail this body can really become.  We realize just how dependent on God we truly are.  There really is a land that is fairer than day but can our faith see it afar?  When our problems have the final word in our life then we may miss the greater vision.  Being sure of eternity is one way to see through every setback into the eyes of God.

Bro. Trey