fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

And now for something completely different and off the wall.  Being serious wears on me after a time.  I just spent a few minutes reading some other blogs that are quite challenging in scope.  They mostly deal with church issues which can be controversial.  Living in a small town means that most of those issues seldom are significant to the work here.  A few take on stuff that goes on within my Baptist tribe.  My sources are down to about none so that will not bother me.  Other blogs tackle church related stuff on a larger scale.  The information is great but not always relevant to what goes on here.  So we will just stick to the average run of the mill daily happenings around my world. 

The totally unusual part of this evening is in telling you of my new found devotion to the program "Doctor Who."  I do not know why this took place.  The exact date of my new discover also escapes me.  It is a British television show that runs on cable now.  Its first airing happened way back in the 1960s.  I remember the program being on public television when the budget was obviously very small.  Nothing clicked with me back then to make me watch it again.  Now there are very few things that keep me from watching especially since my television can record it.  The budget is clearly much bigger now so the show is that much better.  Science Fiction would be its genre should you look it up.  What hooks me is that it is so much more than that. 

All great literature is about the human condition regardless of its setting.  This is true from the stories of Shakespeare to any contemporary author.  You cannot care about plot or message unless you connect with the characters.  This is how my new devotion came about.  Whoever is writing the stories for the show does an amazing job developing the people portrayed.  The plots may carry that science fiction name but they are really about how human beings relate to one another.  Though the Doctor is a man of science you find him dealing with human issues constantly.  He travels through space and time with companions who join him on his adventures.  Even when traveling into alien lands and such you still find the basic plot revolves on who we are as people and our relationships.  I enjoy laughing at the conversations but also feel tugged in the heart when things get serious.  Not everyone will enjoy the program but I do very much.

Our lives are at our best when its about relationships.  God is all about relating to humanity.  This is the whole reason for Christmas.  God enters our world through this child at Bethlehem.  He tells us just how big is His desire to be involved in our life.  Even our most favorite verse in John 3:16 is a simple comment on how God feels about us.  God loves us no matter what.  His heart never needed to grow as did the heart of the Grinch.  You do not have to convince God to love you.  He just loves no matter what.  That is the simple message of Christmas.  We would do well to remember it during these days. 

Bro. Trey