fbctatumstuff

Monday, October 22, 2012

Let me warn you ahead of time about tonight's blog.  It is going to be brutally honest.  What it means is some may read but not understand what is being said.  Some may read and take things the wrong way.  I will try to keep such possible reactions to a minimum but experience says it will still happen.  There is something about honesty that throws us off our game.  Perhaps we live too long in the glib and the shallow to the point that being real makes us a tad nervous.  Halloween is not the only time of the year when people wear masks.  Even believers can raise that to a new art form.

My one point is that I am tired.  Curiosity sent me to take a look at my preaching schedule the last few years.  The discovery just wore me out.  I have not missed a Sunday morning service since August, 2009.  Going to look further back just scared me more so I didn't.  There may not be anyone who keeps records but I am claiming this one for myself.  I've spoken over 160 straight Sundays without missing a one.  There were times when I felt under the weather yet made it through the service.  This includes the several months while taking chemo every three weeks.  Even that brutal regimen did not keep me from my task.  This includes holidays where most people would take off.  No wonder it is easy to get tired around here!

Now let me clean up that last paragraph.  One, do not think of that as whining or complaining.  It is what it is.  My decision is to be here as often as possible.  Little did I know the volume of weeks that add up.  Two, there may be too much usage of that personal pronoun I in that paragraph.  Please know it is not intentional but simply a view from my perspective.  My truest motive is not to point to myself but to simply let you know what was uncovered.  Over 160 straight weeks is a long time by any measurement.  I do not know if that is cause to celebrate or worry about my mental health.  My hope is that it will be the first option.  You should know that my plan is to think more about this achievement in the days to come.  My gut says there are going to be both good and bad lessons to be learned.  We will probably return to this topic as God tells me what I need to hear.  I do not know of any other minister in my circle that even goes a full year without taking Sundays off.  Their brains would probably explode if I told them about this.  Of course, mine may burst at this rate.

I make the choice to be here on Sunday mornings.  Let me offer a few reasons for my newly established record.  One reason is that getting away is hard while also parenting a special needs son.  Now do not begin to see that as an excuse.  It is only an explanation.  My absence means lining up help to take care of him.  So it becomes easier to just do it myself.  I also find it hard to go away on Sundays when attendance could be low.  Those are holidays or other occasions when a guest speaker could be less than impressed.  One other reason is my core belief is that if you are a minister then you speak on Sunday.  I grew up where guest speakers were sometimes heard too often.  It is very possible the outcome of these issues is wrong but the motive was right.

Now it is time to begin work on this Sunday.  But maybe a nap is in order before we do that?

Bro. Trey