fbctatumstuff

Sunday, October 21, 2012

There will surely come a day when my writing on the blog is no longer sporadic.  I do not know when that will happen but one can hope for the best.  Is there a huge reason for the drop in activity?  The best answer is that there are more things getting juggled now than before.  Reading needs to be done.  Taking care of other projects takes more time.  It mostly comes down to not fitting time into doing this.  No one is to blame yet again but me.

Let me just throw out some odds and ends this evening.  We did sing old gospel classics this morning.  Some knew the songs while others did not.  I enjoyed leading those songs very much.  Each one brings back memories of days gone by.  Some perhaps found them old fashioned.  One of the things I tried to mention is how they are a product of the times in which they were written.  Most of these were born of the time in the Great Depression or in the early years of the second World War.  You can hear the longing for better days in each line.  The writers describe their faith in God despite the trials currently at work.  Maybe that is the reason they remain so popular even today.

We also enjoyed our fish fry this evening.  The food was great.  I did indeed eat way too much but the occasional splurge surely cannot hurt.  Not everyone appreciates fried catfish.  Our neighbors up north will not cook them for various reasons.  My personal journey is marked by times of enjoying many a plate of fried catfish.  Everyone seemed to get their fill tonight.  We then moved on to listening to a group sing for us.  I got to hear most of the music between doing dad stuff with my son.  Now there is plenty of fish for me to eat during the week as a snack.  One can never have too much fish on standby.

Most of what would follow all of this would be a thank you to all who participated today.  I am grateful for those who played and sang with us in the morning.  There are not enough words of appreciation for those who cooked, served and did other important stuff this evening.  You would hope days like this would remind us of how well things go when we cooperate to accomplish a task.  How amazing would it be if we could find the right heart to go along with our efforts as a church?  It doesn't always happen that way.  Sometimes the complaints outweigh the cooperation.  No wonder we cannot be fishers of men if we cannot enjoy a fish fry.  I hope we never miss the amazing and wonderful due to our expectations.  Life is far too short for that.

Bro. Trey