fbctatumstuff

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seems like a good idea to write early tonight. Just got in from the doctor visit along with other errands. My youngest got his much needed haircut for school. The cat scan report came in today. There is no evidence of disease as of today. This is as close to being cured as lymphoma gets. Some people never come close to such a result after much worse therapy than mine. My doctor was very pleased. There will still be three more rounds of chemo to go. This is like insurance in killing any cells that may be lurking around. I guess this officially makes me a cancer survivor.

My disease is one that may or may not ever totally go away. It is not the same as getting rid of a tumor. Some people go many years without any sign of the lymphoma returning. Some people do not go nearly as long. Each person's cancer is their own. My journey with this illness is just beginning. There will always be scans or tests just around the corner. None of this is a bad thing it is just what it is. My hope is that by God's mercy we will not have to deal with it being active for a very long time.

Can't say that I know how to describe my emotions at the moment. There is indeed gratitude for today's news. To be clear after only three treatments is far more than one ever hoped for. I also know there will be others who do not see the same success given to me. Life will never be the same as it was before the diagnosis. We can talk more about that later but this much is true. A large part of me wants others to experience this gift of healing whether my medicine or miracle. My heart hurts seeing other patients in far more dire circumstances. Sometimes we just need life to nudge us a bit so we can develop a more tender heart.

I will not get hair back for awhile. We will see what three more rounds of treatment does to it. That does bug me still. You can indeed chalk that one up to pride. This device will remain in my chest a few more months also. Right now my thought is to have it removed whenever possible. There will always be the potential for this disease to resurface. That is something we will leave to another day. Tonight is a time to simply be grateful for God's goodness. It is not at all a bad place to be after the last few months.

Bro. Trey