fbctatumstuff

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

No day is typical when you are the parent of an autistic child.  Some days go better than others but each day is a gift.  I say this because this is one of those days.  My youngest was going about his business at school until he got a nose bleed.  That isn't the usual issues as most of his troubles come in winter when it is dry.  His teacher called me following that lunch crisis to let me know what happened.  It was his idea to call dad which is a highlight in itself.  Then he actually carried on a conversation with me on the phone.  Most times the most you get out of him during a call are a few grunts.  He is just too busy to take the time for small talk.  He liked the idea that I would get him a few minutes early from school.  My guess is he knows dad will always rescue him.  Then he said, "I love you too."  Major calamity would have to break out after that for me to have a bad day.  No great crisis ensued.


Today he told me that I am a normal adult.  His reference was to my birthday two days ago.  Almost no one ever calls me normal so that was a pleasant surprise.  Maybe that is who I am.  He knows that I am dad so he never worries about me being there for him.  What he will not ever comprehend are the other occasions when his dad comes to his defense.  Some people can say truly ugly things about him.  Sometimes they are innocent comments made out of ignorance.  Other times they are just mean.  It would be good to tell you that being a follower of Jesus lets me remain calm and rational during such a scene.  Perhaps my being honest means letting you know that it unleashes a parental rage within me.  I am so far free from violence though that boundary was tested a few times.  God was gracious to settle the mind and heart before regretful actions took place.  I may be fair game to the critics or those just negative people who inhabit our world.  My children are always off limits.


This is not just about me or my children.  We are in the midst of a society that does not know what to do with those people out of the norm.  Every single day there are innocent children who suffer violence of differing fashion.  There are times when he and I are out that people will give an appreciative nod or glance our direction.  It is obvious some look at us as if we don't need to be out in a world where image counts more than character.  God uses both him and each occasion to teach me something.  How different our world would be if we could share the innocence or trust of my son?  We want to play games or work our power trips in the illusion that achievement gets us somewhere others don't wish to go.  Maybe this is why Jesus seems so comfortable with the young around Him.  Could it be that His heart was even more tender when a child needed a miracle?  Show me how you treat the different among us and I will tell you about your heart.  


Tomorrow will be another new adventure around the house.  My life will be stretched by being his parent.  Surely that is a great enough blessing from God.


Bro. Trey