fbctatumstuff

Friday, June 25, 2010

Let me just keep this one short and to the point. That is my goal beginning this post. I am indeed grateful for the past week. No horror stories are going to be reported about the therapy received last Monday. I cannot say thank you to God enough for His goodness. Perhaps the medicines for the stomach played a role but my gratitude goes to Him. My body feels great as of this writing. I even got on the riding mower late this evening and knocked out a large part of the yard. This is amazing to me compared to the other terrible accounts of people who undertake chemotherapy. My mind honestly is in awe of how well it all went.

Humility is another word that comes to mind. Maybe this character trait is something that is only discovered in real world experience. There are lots of books or words on humility but it seems something that can only be discovered in the laboratory of life. For me this means not being defined by a diagnosis but by the possibilities of God. It is true that my life and schedule may allow me more time for reflection but there is still the need for investing that time. Humility is born not from putting yourself down but in realizing just how awesome God truly is.

I am grateful for people who helped out during the week. My mother stayed a few days to help with cooking and other household duties. We did not know at the outset how much if any that I would be able to contribute. The food was wonderful and the clothes are clean. We dined on some terrific home grown vegetables that were more than a bit edible. Everyone seemed to just pick things up a notch to see us through the week. Thank you to all who send cards or notes. Keep them coming.

Today was interesting in the research part of my illness. I am limiting myself to just one or two websites to gather the latest news on cancer. This day carried news on two or three fronts on the progress being made in treatment. Development of medicine is a slow process. However, there is a real reason for optimism in this area. New drugs are showing great promise at treating or even perhaps moving toward cures. Yes, God is God and He has the last word. No one has a guarantee but the reality is that my cancer is getting more treatable each year. I am also grateful to God for this reason to be positive.

Right now is a good time in the journey. I do not look forward to backsliding along the way. My hope is He will keep building a foundation of faith that will withstand the negative moments. All there really is to say is thank you to Him and to others.

Bro. Trey