fbctatumstuff

Monday, June 21, 2010

Today was my first time for treatment for cancer. The doctor is prescribing a very powerful combination of drugs. My scans say that there is not a huge amount of cancer anywhere. Sure, there is much more than anyone would desire. I'd take zero disease over this. My question to one of my nurses was to ask if all this is worth it? She assures me that this will make a huge difference in time. One of the volunteers at the cancer center also shares my diagnosis. She is in great health 12 years after her first experience. She may be in better health than me! That in itself is another small reason for feeling positive.

Of course there was the usual trip to the lab for more blood taking. My life would be very complete should this body never face another needle. Then it was into the treatment area of the clinic. There are multiple cubicles for the patient to rest, read, or watch the small screen television that hangs in each one. The volunteers come by often to see if we need anything. I got me lots of orange juice along with some coffee. They even gave me snacks so my tummy would not be so lonely. There was time for a nap. I read most of a new novel that I purchased recently. Sometimes it was good to just sit back with eyes closed to reflect.

One of the things that caught my attention was how the anxiety of the last few days was basically non existent. It was just time to get on this horse and ride. The actual procedure took most of the work day. A new drug is being used in treatment that is given slowly on the first day. My return trip will not be quite so long we hope. There was a room full of patients with me also taking chemotherapy. Most were older than me but there was one young man there for his last cycle who is 15 years younger. I even drove home after all the events of the day. At the time of this writing my body feels just fine. Maybe that will not change a lot over the next 48 hours. It would make me one very happy chemo camper.

On the topic that draws the most attention about chemotherapy I am happy to report no upset stomach. Again, that fact may change over the next few days but for now there is no hint of nausea. My doctor puts lots of stomach medicine into the IV's as well as sent me home with two more medications to fight off feeling sick. Let's pray that it works. We will try to turn to some of the lessons learned over the last few weeks. Perhaps that will start tomorrow if my body holds up. Part of my treatment is a massive amount of steroids that will aid the chemo in doing its thing. All of this combined is the "front line" of therapy. My hope is in God but my method at this moment is through the medicine.

Let's stop there for the night. Just wanted to offer up some record of the events today. Thank you whoever my read this blog for your prayers. They mean more than could ever be said.

Bro. Trey